Thursday 11 August 2011

Good news, sad news, sailor jerrys and a rasberry.

Well, what a week its been since I last made my pledge. A health scare, a riot, a dear friend losing a dear friend, topped off by a raspberry in my face and I'm drinking sailor Jerry's as I write.

So where are the hearts?
I started as I promised, one for each day, but as the days became filled with sadness and worry, the hearts stopped flowing. Knitting seemed so inappropriate, in the grand scale of things, hearts were the last thing I wanted to think about...
Now I think about it they should've been the first. What does a person need more than a heart when they are sad, a gift from a friend, a brightly coloured heart shaped comforter to snuggle up to, or throw at the person who's upset them. (that one would of course be filled with something heavier than the usual cushion fluff) and may be used as a suitable weapon against rioters.
  
So here they are, the ones that I did before I gave up, stay tuned for the ones I will do now I have re-alised their significance.



Id forgotten that knitting isn't just about two sticks and some wool and perhaps something nice at the end. Its about distraction, calm, creation and ultimately smiles.
I received a gift today from a very good friend, passed over from a relative of hers. It was a bag full of knitting needles, some wool and some projects half finished, waiting to be made and worn.
That brought it home to me, once you start, even if you stop, you can still bring joy to others,what could be more exciting than something already half way to being worn.

 I'm itching to get on with them, not stuck halfway through, in a jumpery sort of way a metaphor for life I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment