Monday 6 October 2014

mindful

I was recently lucky enough to come across a free session locally which introduced the practice of mindfulness. After an afternoon of sitting a circle with 12 strangers, and at one point lying on the floor trying not to laugh at the lady snoring next to me, I found that the session left me "feeling like I'd had a facial without anyone touching me" (as I felt compelled to tell the room full of strangers).
I was also determined to pay more attention and 'be in the moment' whenever possible. To avoid sailing through the day without remembering most of it, and to never have that scary thought 'how did I arrive at work? I don't remember even getting onto the motorway!' Ever again. I was also determined to use mindfulness to learn everything about the world around me and to become more creative.
So today I wanted to share a couple of the things I noticed whilst being mindful.
Thing 1, my windscreen wipers make a relaxing swoosh noise when it's mizzling.
Thing 2, (what a great name for a book character) if I open my office window when it rains the rain in the drain pipe sounds like a mountain stream.
Thing 3, if you read the scribble on bits of paper before you throw them straight in the dustbin you might find that your daughter can write her full name.
Thing 4, if you pay close attention to what you read, you will discover a deliberate mistake...

No comments:

Post a Comment